P.O. Box 888, Raleigh, NC 27602
Telephone: (919)831-3790 FAX: (919) 831-3615
Born September 11, 1951, son of the late Dr. Sanford L. Steelman and Margaret Abee Steelman of Hickory.
Married to Elizabeth Jenny Steelman, 38 years. Three sons and three grandchildren.
- Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, 1969-1971, 1972-1973, A.B. (1973) (cum laude), Political Science.
- University of East Anglia, Norwich, England, 1971-1972.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, J.D. (1976).
- School for Superior Court Judges, Institute of Government, Chapel Hill, December, 1994.
- National Judicial College, General Jurisdiction Course, May, 1996.
- Associate Attorney, Griffin, Caldwell & Helder, P.A., Monroe, NC, 1976-1980.
- Partner in the law firm of Griffin, Caldwell, Helder & Steelman, P.A., Monroe, NC, 1980-1988.
- Private Practice of law, Sanford L. Steelman, Jr., Monroe, NC, 1988-1992.
- Partner in the law firm of Steelman & Long, Monroe, NC, 1992-1994.
- Resident Superior Court Judge, Judicial District 20-B, Stanly and Union Counties, 1994-2001.
- Senior Resident Superior Court Judge, Judicial District 20-B, Stanly and Union Counties, 2001-2002.
- Judge, North Carolina Court of Appeals, 2003-present.
- Union County Bar Association, Judicial District 20B Bar.
- Wake County Bar Association.
- Jury Survey Advisory Committee, 1997-1998.
- Administrative Office of the Courts Budget Advisory Committee 1999-2002.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the State Judicial Council, 2000-2002.
- Chair of the Superior Court Subcommittee of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the State Judicial Council, 2001-2002.
- North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, 2003-2004.
- Chair, North Carolina Dispute Resultion Commission, 2004-2008.
- Chair Emeritus and Court of Appeals representative to Dispute Resolution Commission 2008-present.
- North Carolina Bar Association Administration of Justice Task Force 2003-2010.
- Chief Justice's Commission on the future of the North Carolina Business Court 2003-2004.
Professional Achievements while a practicing attorney
- Designated "A" rating in legal ability (highest possible rating) and "V" rating for General Recommendation (highest possible rating) in Martindale-Hubbell Directory.
- County Attorney, Union County 1991-1994.
- Village of Marvin Attorney 1994.
Professional Achievements while a Superior Court Judge
- Rated by Court Watch of North Carolina, Inc. as a Superior Court Judge with an overall rating of 92.5%. Judge Steelman was the only judge in the Third Judicial Division who had a perfect score on the question of whether he was influenced by ex parte activities.
- Assigned by the Chief Justice of the State of North Carolina to hear three "exceptional cases" under Rule 2.1 of the General Rules of Practice for the Superior Court.
- Re-elected to Superior Court in 1998, without opposition.
Judge Steelman presided over Superior Court in 32 different counties over 8 years.
Professional Achievements while a Court of Appeals Judge
- Instructor, North Carolina Conference of Superior Court Judges, 2004, 2012.
- Instructor, North Carolina Judicial College, 2008, 2010.
- Instructor, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, 2011.
- Re-elected to Court of Appeals 2010, without opposition.
- Eagle Scout Award, 1965.
- Monroe Jaycees, 1977-1984.
- Jaycee of the Year, Monroe Jaycees, 1978-79.
- President, Monroe Jaycees, 1980-1981.
- Chairman, Standby Selective Service Board, Union and Anson Counties, 1982-1994.
- Council Member and Mayor Pro Tempore Town of Weddington, North Carolina, 1985-1994.
- Union County Jail Study Committee, 1988.
- Steering Committee supporting passage of Bonds for Capital Construction for Union County and City of Monroe Schools, 1989 (Bonds were passed by voters of Union County).
- Chairman of Committee supporting passage of referendum establishing a Special School Tax for the support of the Union County Schools, 1990 (Referendum was passed by 65% vote).
- Sweet Union 2000 Committee, 1993 (long range planning committee for Union County) (subcommittee on government).
- Stanly County Criminal Justice Partnership, 1994-2002.
- Sun Valley High School Task Force, citizenís advisory board for assessing needs of the school, 1998.
- Union West Rotary Club, 1999-2002.
- Union County Courthouse Security Advisory Committee, 2000.
- Chairman of Union County Criminal Justice Partnership Board, 2001-2002.
- Rotary Club of Raleigh, 2003-present. Director, 2006-2008.
- Member, Deacon, and Sunday School Teacher, First Baptist Church, Monroe, North Carolina, 1978-1985.
- Member and Sunday School Teacher, First Baptist Church, Matthews, North Carolina, 1985-2009.
- Member, First Baptist Church, Weddington, North Carolina, 2009-present.